Diamond off to Polgar Girl’s
Diamond Shakoor will be heading to Lubbock, Texas to compete in the 8th Annual Susan Polgar Girl’s Invitational to compete for glory and perhaps scholarships. During the Heritage Concert Series, radio personality Warren Stevens ran into Diamond and father, Abdul Shakoor and spoke to the talented 10-year old. The two spoke to Stevens about her progress at the A.K. Shakoor Kings and Queens Chess Academy. Results have followed:
- 2008 USCF National Speed Chess Champion; 1st Place U-600 in USA.
- 2009 Columbus City Schools District Champion K-5th Grade; 1st Place 6-0.
- 2009 Polgar All Girls Nationals Main Event K-2nd Grade; 1st Place in USA 7-0.
- (Youngest African American Female in history to go 7-0 in a National Tournament; 8 yrs old)
- 2009 Polgar All Girls Nationals Speed Competition K-2nd Grade; 1st Place in USA.
- 2009 Polgar All Girls Nationals Team Competition K-2nd Grade; 1st Place in USA.
- 2009 State of Ohio Grade Levels; 2nd Place for all 2nd Graders in Ohio.
- 2010 State of Ohio Grade Levels; 2nd Place for all 3rd Graders in Ohio.
- 2010 Ohio All Girls Chess Championship; Tied for 2nd Place in K-12th Grade Division.
- 2010 Polgar All Girls Nationals Main Event 3rd-5th Grade; 2nd Place in USA 6-1.
- 2010 Polgar All Girls Nationals Speed Competition 3rd-5th Grade; 1st Place in USA.
- 2010 Columbus City Schools District Champion K-5th Grade; 1st Place 6-0.
- 2011 Queen City Classic Chess Tournament; 2nd Place in 4th-6th Grade Division.
- 2011 Columbus City Schools District Champion K-5th Grade; 1st Place 6-0 (1st 3-Time Repeat Champion in 25 years of the Tournament).
- 2011 Northern Kentucky Chess Tournament; 2nd Place in 4th-6th Grade Division.
- 2011 Polgar All Girls Nationals Main Event 3rd-5th Grade; 2nd Place in USA 5-1-1.
- 2011 Polgar All Girls Nationals Speed Competition 3rd-5th Grade; 1st Place in USA.
- 2011 Columbus Open Chess Tournament; 2nd Place (U-1300); 3 wins, 2 draws, no losses
Both Diamond and her father will travel to the tournament to compete against chess players from all over the 50 states. If you would like to contribute to Diamond’s success send all donation and inquiries to the contact below.
Diamond Shakoor Chess Fund
3081 E. 11th Avenue Columbus, Ohio 43219
614 309-5021 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* * *
Warren Stevens, “Inspiring Heritage-10 year Old Columbus Girl To Compete For National Chess Championship,” Magic 98.9 Radio (website).
Vanita Young (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania), Dyhemia Young (San Francisco, California) and Diamond Abdus-Shakoor (Columbus, Ohio) pose with Susan Polgar and Vanita Young’s coach, David Miller.
August 1, 2011
Congratulations to 10 year old; Diamond Shakoor for winning 4 out of 6 games! She tied for 5th in the Nation for all girls age 5-18! Also with 4 out of 6 (Vanita Young); great job! Diamond also tied for 2nd in the Nation in the Blitz (Speed) competition for all girls age 5-18. Great job to Dyhemia! It is hard to focus on the best chess players in the country and being interviewed before and after every round! We are proud of everyone ! Especially these 3 sisters ! They won with grace and rarely lost; but when they lost they lost with dignity! Than k you to the Chess Drum and anyone who supports our young Queens!
(Photos by FM Paul Truong)
Diamond Shakoor and her “big sister” Dyhemia Young. 🙂
Diamond in action!
Diamond takes a peek at the opponent’s “double fianchetto” setup.
Dyhemia Young analyzing with Abdul Abdus-Shakoor.
Good Luck to Ms. Diamond Shakoor and to Ms. Vanita Young! They will be competing in the 2012 Susan Polgar 9th Annual National Invite for Girls Only! The event has been moved to Webster University in St. Louis, Missouri site of the World Chess Hall of Fame! The Event will be from July 22-27, 2012. And will feature some of the top female chess players in the United States! Both Diamond and Vanita attended the event in 2011 and both won 4 out of 6 matches! Please support these to young African American Queens in their journey! Have fun ladies and handle your business! Thanks to the Chess Drum, HHCF, and anyone supporting our youth!
PEACE PROPER EDUCATION ALWAYS CORRECTS ERRORS!
Currently @ 2012 Susan Polgar 9th Annual All Girls National Invite! Diamond scored 4 out of 7 in the blitz! In a 7 way tie for 1st Place in Team Bughouse Competition 6 out of 8. Having a wonderful time! 2 African American women in the field of 48! Vanita Young and Diamond Abdus-Shakoor! Good Luck Ladies Play Strong!