FM Kenny Solomon
IM Michael Schleifer
Wilbert Paige Memorial (3)
Harlem, USA, 2001
1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. Qc2 This line appears to be popular these days. I chose a line where black fives up the two bishops hoping to get good piece play and harmonious development.
4... c5 5. dxc5 Na6 6. a3 Bxc3+ 7. Qxc3 Nxc5 8. Nf3 a5 Staking claim on the queenside.
9. Bg5 A typical move in this line. If white wants to get something here, he must try to keep things fluid to make the most of his two bishops.
9... h6?! I spent some time examining the consequences of white capturing on f6. The resulting positions seemed to be at least equal for black, but more importantly, I thought his weakened queenside might allow me to eventually take over the initiative. Palns like placing my bishop on d7 and then opening the b-file (to attack b2) seemed promising.
10. Bh4 a4 11. Nd2 d6 12. e3 e5 13. f3 O-O 14. Be2 Be6 15. Bxf6 This seems premature. Without this pin to worry about, I get even more freedom of movement.
15... Qxf6 16. O-O Qe7 Avoiding the complication of 17.f4.
If my queen were on f6, then this would be unclear, but now it is a position blunder. Black gets the e-file now and with it, serious intitiative.
17... exf4 18. exf4 Bf5 19. Bf3 Rfe8 Now white has some problems. He cannot challenge the file because I just give up my queen for both rooks with a good game.
20. g4?! Kenny decided to play for complications.
20... Bd3 21. Rf2 Qe3 22. f5 Re5 This takes the sting out of f6 and keeps the option of tripling on the e-file.
23. Rd1 Ra6!? Changing course. This guy defends d6 and puts pressure on the b-file.
24. Kg2 Rb6 25. Bd5 Re8 26. Nf3 Rb3 27. Qd4
27... Be2 Forcing favorable complications.
28. Rd2 Bxf3+ 29. Bxf3 Nd3 The knight enters with decisive effect. It should also be said that both sides were in time pressure now.
30. Qxe3 Rxe3 31. Rf1 Ne1+ 32. Rxe1 Rxe1 33. Rxd6 Rxb2+ 34. Kg3 Rb3 35. Kf2 Re7 36. Rd8+ Kh7 37. Bd5 Rxa3 38. Rf8 Rb3 39. c5 Rb2+ 40. Kf3 a3 41. Ra8 Rd7 42. Ke4
42... Re7+ 43. Kd4 Rd7 44. Ke4 Re2+ 45. Kf3 Rxh2 46. c6 bxc6 47. Bc4 Rc2 0-1
Game(s) in PGN